Thursday, July 25, 2013

Whole Wheat Zucchini Brownies


 
 
I have been seriously craving for anything chocolate for the last two weeks and thinking of making something with chocolate but never had a time to make anything!  


Over the weekend, the hubby and I went to take a stroll in the old China town for the Summer Night event. There were little art and craft shops, band music and art performances, and food trucks! We got to taste the Indian chicken curry wrap and the crispy tofu balls with Sriracha aioli sauce. They were good and of course pricy! (Considering that I can do that at home!) Then we found two little cute dessert trucks. One was selling cupcakes and sweet treats, another was selling frozen yogurt and snow cone. The hubby’s eyes were lid up! We both went back and forth undecided which one to pick. Then I saw the brownies! Ohhhh I gotta have it. So, we got one big square to share, and it was so good with the intense chocolate flavor. We both were almost fighting over it! The brownie had satisfied my craving at the moment But after a while, I want some more! So, I decided to make my own brownies.





You know? Good brownies come with high calories. What I only want to do for my life now as I’m getting older is trying to stay healthy as much as I can. So, I searched for a good and healthy brownies recipe. I’ve found several awesome idea of zucchini brownies recipes, in which they called for different ingredients on each one. So, I adapted and revised on my own.





As a result, the zucchini brownies came out very moist, chocolaty, and stay really moist the next day. Thanks to the zucchini and applesauce. Only one thing that I felt a little, somewhat, disappointed was that I used semisweet chocolate chips which I should have used bittersweet chocolate chips instead for a little more intense flavor. But the hubby disagreed. He prefers milk chocolate; I prefer dark chocolate. You know how that goes!   However, the hubby has tasted unknowing there was zucchini in the brownies. And he really liked it.






By the time I finished taking photographs, I’ve finished eating two brownies already. Oh mine! Luckily, those zucchini made me felt less guilty about that. Whew!

Have you noticed something? There is no butter or oil in my brownies! And that what I call “healtylicious!” Woot Woot!!!

What you need:   makes 12-16 squares 

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. brewed coffee, cool
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips


 
 


How to:

- Preheat the oven to 350’F and line the 9x11 or 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper for easy removal
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder and set aside
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg, sugar, vanilla, and applesauce
- Fold in the wet into the dry ingredients to mix well
- Fold in zucchini, chopped walnut, and chocolate chips and mix well
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes top. Do not over bake!
- Let it cool completely before cutting into squares 
 
 
Enjoy!
 
^__^
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...