Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fresh Fig & Toasted Almonds Pie




So, I made pie! The truth is that I am not a real baker but I find myself baking a lot lately. And this time I’m making a pie because we have so much of fresh figs that are ripening at the same time (we have 3 fig trees in our yard) and I have to find the ways to cook them after we’ve been giving out to friends, still those fig trees are loaded and have become so messy on the ground from the one that falls and the leftovers from the birds and squirrels that nobody teach them the manner to not making a mess when you are a guest.       hhmm….am I just rambling? But I’m glad that they are well fed because when the winter comes, they will be no worry about hungry, or do they?





Anyhow, this fresh fig pie is so easy to make because I use ready-to-use pie crust. Now that’s convenient! But you can go ahead call me lazy! Turn on the oven and let it works the magic for 40 minutes and it’s ready to enjoy!   If you notice, I only use 1 tablespoon of honey mixed with the fresh fig filling, because I think that figs are already sweet.  However, if you feel like you need more sweetness, not that you already are, you can drizzle some honey on top when serving. The floral hint of honey and citrus scents from orange zest give the gorgeous sweetness to the pie, which you can also top it with a dollop of whipped cream or Greek yogurt if you like, or serve the warm pie with vanilla ice cream…A la mode….ooohhh.....  that’s sound so gooood, isn’t?
Too bad I didn’t have vanilla ice cream with me at the moment!






What you need:

1 sheet Pillsbury ready-to-use pie crust
3 cups chopped fresh figs (peeled or unpeeled, I peeled them)
1 tbsp honey + more honey for drizzling on top
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 cup finely ground toasted almond
5-6 medium fresh figs, cut crosswise, unpeeled









How to:

- Preheat the oven to 375’ F
- Prepare the pie crust according to the package
- Lay out the pie crust onto the 9-in pie pan and trim the edge, set aside
- In a medium bowl, mash chopped fresh figs with fork into small pieces, add 1 tablespoon honey and orange zest, and mix well
- Pour the mashed fresh figs filling into a pie crust and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust turns golden
- Remove the pie and spread the ground tasted almond evenly on top of the filling and let the pie cool down on the rack for 15 minutes
- Arrange cut fresh figs on top in concentric circle form lapping over one another, or as you like
- Cut and serve with a drizzle of honey, a dollop of whip cream or Greek yogurt, or with vanilla ice cream as desired.



Enjoy!
J







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...