Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chipotle Tomato Jam and Green Apple





There is nothing better and sweeter than homegrown tomatoes. The hubby and I plant tomatoes every summer which leave us plenty of tomatoes to eat.   And over the past two weeks, I’ve been harvesting my tomatoes almost every day since they are ripening almost at the same time. While the hubby loves to cut them up and making Caprese salad almost every day, I’m making Gazpacho, tomato salsa, tomato mini frittatas, and just simply adding them into the salad…and shhhh...for my beauty secret! ~_^




Today I’ve decided to make Tomato Jam! “Hah?” It was the hubby’s reaction when I told him that I was going to make tomato jam.

“Hah? I’ve never heard of tomato jam before!”

“Well, you do now!”

After researching on the net, tomato jam is nothing new.  When people hear the word “jam,” they tend to think of it with the taste like other kinds of jams that contain lots of sugar and must be really sweet.  And yet some of the recipes I found are, somehow, using lots of sugar! 




 So, I matched up a few of the recipes I found and modified and simplified them to my own personal taste which I also have added chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for a little kick of heat. And oh mine! I’ve tried this version of tomato jam with the green apple I had, and you know what? It was heavenly perfect!   That’s all I can say.  So, as greedy as I am, I finished my two green apples I had in no time with half of the tomato jam left for the hubby to taste! {ˆ--ˆ}     Sorry!





What you need:

1 lb tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup sugar
2 cloves minced garlic
1tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp lemon juice + zest
1 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 or 2 fresh slices Green Apples or other kind of tart fruit like green mango and Jacima will be perfect, too!

How To:

Add all the ingredients, except apples, in the medium sauce pan and bring to the boil and then simmer. Stir frequently until the jam is glossy and thicken enough with the consistency of jam – about 40-50 minutes. Make 1 1/2 cups

Enjoy!
^__^




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...