Sunday, May 13, 2012

Meyer Lemon Cupcakes Filled with Meyer Lemon Curd



It's Sunday and it’s Mother’s Day, I woke up quite early this morning than I usually do on the weekend.  Walking toward the kitchen to turn on my coffee machine, there I saw a lovely, orangey Mother’s Day card resting peacefully on the counter.   Just to make a long story short since I did not really want to go on and babbling about it, this card has made my day.   





Still in my jammies, I saw a basket full of Meyer lemons my hubby got them another day from a friend sitting quietly making me thinking, ‘what can I do with those?”    Lemon curd!   That’s right!   Let’s make lemon curd.    And the idea of making Meyer Lemon cupcakes was followed.  


I found myself having so much fun making these cupcakes by using the non-fat plain yogurt I have instead of butter milk the original recipe called for and I have added extra lemon juice and zest and reduced the sugar because I like the tangy sweet taste of Meyer lemon more than just the sweetness from sugar.  Plus, the Meyer lemon curd filled in the middle was just to die for.   So, let’s have some fun, shall we?







 Meyer Lemon cupcakes:  

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
8 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
3 tbsp fresh squeeze Meyer lemon juice
1 tbsp Meyer lemon zest, finely zest
*fresh raspberry

Preheat the oven at 350’ F

- arrange the cupcakes liners in 12-muffin pan
- add the first three dry ingredient and mix well
- in a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract, set aside
- in another bowl, mix sugar and butter with an electric hand mixture in low speed until it turn light in color and then add the eggs mixture and the flour, by make it 3 batches, into the sugar mixed to incorporate together but don’t over mix
- pour the batter into the cupcakes liners evenly and bake for 25 minutes and let them cool completely on wire rack
 - scoop out the middle of the cupcakes, depends on how big or how small you want, and fill them with the lemon curd, dusting with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh raspberry...voila!  




Meyer Lemon Curd: 

 1/2 cup fresh squeeze Meyer lemon juice
1 tbsp Meyer lemon zest, finely zest
1/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 large egg s
2 large eggs yolks
Pinch of salt






- in a small bowl, beat together the eggs and the yolks
- heat lemon juice, zest, sugar, and butter in saucepan over low heat
- when the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, whisk the warm lemon into the eggs and keep stirring constantly, little by little to warm them
- bring the warm eggs mixture back into the saucepan over low heat and stir continuously until the mixture is thickened
- pour the lemon curd through a fine sieve, and let it cool down in the refrigerator


Enjoy!

^___^





2 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes are just gorgeous! I love anything lemon and I'm just drooling right now. They look so professional, too. You have skills. Your blog always makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY Frank! Now that you've just made my day! ^___^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...